Have you noticed the small grey icon beside your name when you comment on a blog or participate on a forum? You can change that grey icon with gravatar.
What is Gravatar?
Gravatar stands for globally recognised avatar. It’s a small icon or image which goes along with your email. When you participate on forums or discussion board or comment on blogs using your email it goes there.
I think you all know about the avatar. Avatar is a 3d or 2d icon. When we play game on a computer or on a mobile, we sometimes need to create a profile for playing the game. When we create profile we have an option to use icon or image with our profile. That is an avatar.
Later on 2007 Tom Preston-Werner implemented this gravatar as like avatar where you can use your own image or your own icon with your email address. If you use the email to sign-up or register in forum or discussion board or comment in any blog this gravatar will be there.
So what’s the difference between avatar and gravatar?
Avatar isn’t globally recognized. It’s only shown on the profile where you use it.
Gravatar is globally recognized. wherever you use the email associated with the gravatar then your icon or image will be shown there.
How gravatar works?
So, the core question is, how gravatar works?
When you make comment in any blog or participate in forums or discussion board with the email address associated with your gravatar profile, it pulls your image from the gravatar’s server and instantly shows the image beside your name.
Isn’t it pretty good idea to show your image wherever you go with your Email?
It not only shows your image, it can be beneficial too.
So let’s see how a gravatar can be beneficial for you or why you should use gravatar.
Why should you use Gravatar?
You should use gravatar as a blogger for the following reasons –
Gravatar helps you build your brand
If you read blogs online regularly as I do, you may remember your favourite bloggers face. That is his personal brand. Wherever you see the image you can recognize him.
If you comment on my blog with your gravatar associated email and when I see the same image of you in somewhere else I quickly can recognize you. This your brand.
We all are struggling to make our online identity. So if you use Gravatar it’ll help you to build your online identity. Your online brand.
Gravatar helps you getting traffic
Think about it this way. If I see your face several times in several places then I’ll somehow try to know you. I’ll go to your website to know more about you. And thus you’ll get traffic.
There may have many other benefits of using Gravatar. But those two reasons are enough for me as well as for you to use Gravatar.
What do you think? Are you convinced enough to create your gravatar profile?
Then let’s create one.
How to create a Gravatar profile?
You now know that what is gravatar and How it can be beneficial for you.
So it is high time to know how to create a gravatar profile.
Creating a Gravatar profile is easy. You can create one in a few minutes. Just follow the following steps:
- For creating gravatar profile you need to have a WordPress.com account. If you already have a WordPress.com account, that’s fine. If you don’t have a WordPress.com account, don’t worry you’ll have both WordPress.com and Gravatar account. Just keep following the steps below.
- Go to the homepage of Gravatar. Click on the Sign In button that appears at the top right corner of the page.
- After clicking on Sign In button, a new page will appear asking you the login information. If you have a WordPress.com account put the login info of that account here. If you don’t have a WordPress account, click on the “need an account” link beside the sign in button.
- In the window that appears in your computer screen, enter your email address, username and password and click on the “Sign Up” button to sign up for a WordPress.com account.
- A confirmation email will be send to your email address. Check your email inbox and click on the confirmation link to complete signup process.
- After Clicking on confirmation link you’ll be taken to the WordPress.com website where you’ll see a thanking message with asking you to sign in to gravatar.
- Click on the “Sign In to Gravatar” button. You’ll automatically be signed in to Gravatar. And you successfully opened a gravatar account. Congratulation.
But creating a Gravatar account isn’t everything. You have to setup your profile to use it properly.
So how you can set up your gravatar profIle for maximize your branding and getting traffic.
How to setup your gravatar profile?
Your Gravatar profile includes your image, your name and other profile details. If you don’t set those up properly then there is no use of using gravatar.
The first step to set up your gravatar profile is to upload an image.
You can upload any image. That can be an icon or any type of photograph. I’ll suggest to upload an image of yourself. Doing this will increase your identity among the communities.
- To upload your image login to your gravatar account by using WordPress.com login credential.
- Once you are logged in, click on the “Add an image” link which appears at the top of the page.
- After that you are given two options to upload your image. One is from your computer and another is to enter link where your host your image. Better to upload an image from your computer.
- After uploading image gravatar will show you option to crop your image. Choose which portion of your image you want to show online. Keep in mind that gravatar accepts only square size image.
- After cropping your image just click on the “Crop and Finish” button below.
- Gravatar will show you some options to rate your image. Choose the “G” rate and you are done.
Your image is now successfully uploaded.
You can now use your Gravatar. But you have to do more profile setting for being professional.
Click on the “My Profile” link which appears at the top of the page.
On the form that opened after clicking on “my profile” link, enter the information on the fields of Name, Display Name, Location and About me.
You can also insert your website address by clicking on the “Websites” link which appears on the right side of the page.
Okay. You have done well. Your gravatar profile is now fully set up.
As your gravatar profile is set up, lets see how to use gravatar.
When you comment on other blogs or websites or participate in forums or any discussion board, use the email address which you associated with your gravatar profile.
If you want to check how your gravatar will look when you use it just click on this link and enter your email address.
Or you can check your Gravatar by commenting on this post.
Keep in mind that some websites don’t support gravatar. Such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. Beside these most of the site supports gravatar. So always use gravitate to build your online identity.
Do you have any query about gravatar. Leave that in comment below…